Saturday, July 31, 2010

Garga'oon (trick or treating)

The other night Eli and I, along with some friends, were able to have a new cultural experience. We went out to my friend's village and participated in an event that has been going on for a long time. Many, many years ago the Prophet Mohammed welcomed the birth of his first grandson. People came to celebrate with him and when they came to his house he welcomed them with candy. People still celebrate this with an event called Garga'oon. Locals dress up in their finest, many times new clothes, and walk around their villages carrying bags. They go door-to-door and when the door opens the children say "Garga'oon Nah" . Then the children receive candy, chips, toys, and MONEY in their bags!! It was so neat to walk around in the village and see so many people out participating.
This picture is actually after we got back but I wanted to get a good pic of what Eli was wearing, a traditional local outfit.

Just like in America after trick or treating, Eli wanted to see all the yummy goodies he got!

Liz and I, along with the very tired kids. We didn't go out until 8 p.m. and it was still 100 degrees outside.

Going door to door!

Ha ha... this is me! Before we went out to celebrate Garga'oon, my local friend had to do her prayers. She wears this outfit when she prays at her house. I decided I needed to try it on and see what I look like completely covered.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eli is so handsome...glad he got a lot of goodies from his night out. Rachel, was it hot in the dress that covered all but your face?

deborah jeffers said...

Eli is a treasure,I have enjoyed watching him grow up. Counting the days till I can see you all!Love aunt Debbie

The McQueen's said...

It sure was a fun time filled with many laughs! I think it might have been more fun then trick or treating! Although most halloweens the weather is much colder and we aren't usually wiping off so much sweat! Haha! But it was worth the experience!