Tuesday, March 25, 2008

My Mom Taught Me To Cook Too!



Since we arrived here, Corey and I have really been impressed with the local food. Our neighbors by far are the best cooks we know. In fact, we know when they are home and cooking because the smells invade our house. Every time we are able to eat with our neighbors we leave thinking that was the best food we have ever had. And of course Corey saying "Rachel when are you going to learn to cook like that?".

Well! Lately, I have been taking cakes to our neighbors and have learned that they really, really like them. In fact, they have to stop their oldest son from coming over here to ask for more. One day during a conversation with the wife she told me that she wants a cake like mine, but doesn't know how to make it. So of course I invited her over to show her how to make the cake. She had never seen a box mix with a tub of icing. She was so impressed. I made the cake with her help and showed her exactly how to do everything. I even impressed her with my electric mixer! I told her it was so easy and where to find it in the grocery store. She was so excited and said she is going to try it.

So.... long story short.... my mom taught me to cook too. I can't wait to show her boxed Mac-n-Cheese and nuggets! JK!

7 comments:

RAB said...

haha, that's funny. remember making manicotti together? have you made that again? not sure you could find those ingredients there though, or could you? happy cooking!

Anonymous said...

If your neighbors like boxed mac and cheese, then Hamburger Helper should really make them happy!!!!

Anonymous said...

HA!HA! Glad to hear your mom is a gourmet cook like me! My mom is probably the best cook @ First Mansfield, and most people know it, so it's a hard act to follow. Hopefully those cooking genes skip a generation and some of my kids may inherit her skills!
Hope you're feeling well!
In C
Kathy

Debbie Jeffers said...

OK, you guys, I DO cook from scratch, ya know. Hamburger Helper and Mac'n'cheese are not in my house. In fact, Rachel, I am about to make my coconut cake. So there. Your neighbor should see Erin's mixer!! You can walk away from it!!! Glad you can share American cakes with the neighbors. Love you, Mom

deborah jeffers said...

When I asked your Great Grandmother Jeffers (Ethel) how to make her famous coconut cake, she took me straight to a cake mix. She said "I used to make it from scratch, but now, since they want to put it all in a box for me..." Believe me-that's my take on it, too! Love, Aunt Debbie

Unknown said...

so great! thanks for sharing that story. ha. my b-family was so impressed and loved a soup mix that I just added water to. hmm...could be fun to learn their cooking ways. I hope you are able too - maybe corey too!!

LandA said...

I loved this story! My friends here are also amazed with electric mixers. And they love using measuring cups. Also, congratulations! The sonogram pictures are amazing. Our little girl is due on July 9th!