Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Arab Weddings




This past weekend I was invited to another arab wedding! Weddings are so different over here in the Middle East and I will try my best to give you the details! I will explain the wedding in 3 different sections over the next few blogs : Before the Bride, Bride, and After the Bride!

Before the Bride: The wedding started at 7:00 p.m. at a nice hotel in the city! However, it wasn't until around 8:00 p.m. that most of the guests started to arrive! During this time, the family of the bride and groom are greeting the guests. Did I mention there are only women and children at this part of the wedding! In fact, most women show up in their black abaya and black sheila (traditional arab outfit), except for family and close friends. I like to compare the family and close friends outfits to a formal/prom. Formal meaning that there are some really nice, beautiful outfits and prom meaning that there are some dresses that I know my dad would have never let me leave the house wearing!!! As you notice in my picture, I am wearing lots of make-up! The women use weddings to really shine! In fact, every time I have gone to a wedding with one of my good local friends, she tells me that I am not wearing enough make-up, perfume, or jewelry. So for this wedding, I bought a new dress, had a local friend do my make-up, and borrowed a bunch of Gold jewelry. Also during this time we eat!!! The meals are brought out family style and everyone eats from a big platter in the middle of the table (usually rice and lamb, or chicken). Oh... there isn't a lot of talking going on because the music is so loud. This time our music was sung by a woman wearing a short, tight, zebra dress, haha! Another interesting part is that ladies will come around with incense and perfume for you to wave on your body, I guess just in case you forgot yours at home!

Ok... I think that does it for the Before the Bride.... you will have to come back to find out the rest!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay...I love this culture thing! How fascinating! Rachel, you do not even look like yourself with all the make up on, but you are so pretty! I called this up and went to the picture of you with your makeup and ask Buddy if he knew who that was...ha! He said 'No, I don't.' I told him yes he did, and that it was you. He got close to the screen and said 'that's not Rachel.' Finally convinced him though. Your dress is gorgeous. This is so interesting. Thanks for the culture lesson.
Love,
Jo