Sunday, August 16, 2009

Old Traditions Wedding

A couple of weeks ago I was invited to yet another wedding, and of course this one was different from all the other ones! In fact, the event started the night before the wedding with two pre-wedding parties!

Here Liz and I are ready for the 1st party (7:00 p.m. ). The first party only lasted a little over an hour and consisted of dancing and singing. We were actually late for the party and when we arrived there was a large crowd of men carrying drums and singing and dancing on their way to where all the women were standing. When they met up with the women they did more dancing and singing and then it was over. Then everyone started to leave, so we decided we should leave too and we were told to return at 10:00 p.m. for the 2nd party!

Here we are at the 2nd party, this time in a tent. Once again, men and women were present but men were on one side and women on the other. The men did lots of singing while the women listened and watched and took care of the children. Also, two women who were completely covered were hired to dance for the men. I asked the women around me what they thought of this and over and over they replied "Haram! (which is meaning not good at all).

All of a sudden there was a mass exit of the tent by a lot of the people. I asked my friend what was going on and she replied that we must go out singing and dancing to celebrate the groom getting henna on his feet. So we all walked around, and around and around the neighborhood after midnight making lots of noise!

Liz and I were really excited about walking around outside with no clue what exactly we were doing, in dressy shoes, fancy dresses, and late at night!

While the groom was getting his henna on his feet the men danced some more! I must also add that the groom didn't want to get henna on his feet but his mother said he must because it is tradition!

3 comments:

Debbie Jeffers said...

Interesting, but way too late for me!! They would be dancing around this old lady.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like so much fun!!

Anonymous said...

How fascinating. I love seeing pictures and reading about the culture of other countries. Especially by someone I know who is actually there. Girl, you sure do go to a lot of weddings!
Love,
Jo