The Groom
Well this past wedding was the first wedding that I have stayed long enough to see the groom come in. I have been at weddings where the bride doesn't come in until almost 11 p.m. and by that time I am worn out and can't stay until the groom comes. Ok... so let's set the stage.... The bride is up on her throne taking pictures and greeting family and friends while people are crowded around their tables enjoying conversation. And then comes an announcement.... the Groom is coming. Of course this announcement was said in Arabic and I was only able to pick bits and pieces out of it, but enough to know that the Groom was coming! All of a sudden, there was a mad rush of all the women to their tables! Remember how I said that the women were dressed in some revealing dresses.... well that is not appropriate to be wearing around men.... so the women were running to cover themselves up! All of a sudden the room that was lit up in such beautiful colored dresses and long flowing hair everywhere, was now turned back into the normal every day sight.... women in their black abbays and black sheilas (the traditional outfits). The room is now silent as the groom enters the room. The groom is at the front of the pack with his dad and father of the bride next to him. Behind him are his brothers, brothers of the bride, and close friends. I loved the way they walked in.... no music, no smiles, no slow walking.... just a bunch of guys on a mission. As I turned back to see the bride.... I was shocked. She was now covered in a silky white sheet and no part of her was showing. The men walk up to the stage and more pictures are taken, grandparents, parents, groom, and yes the white blob! I mean really, is she smiling under there, haha! Next, all the men exit the stage except for the brides dad and brothers and maybe the grooms dad. Then the groom finally lifted the white sheet off of his bride and more pictures were taken.
Well that is my story of an Arab wedding I went too! Hope you enjoyed!
3 comments:
I wonder if the groom ever wants to put the white sheet back over the bride!! haha
I think I like our weddings better...thanks for the cultural lesson Rachel.
Love,
Jo
There aren't any vows exchanged? Interesting. Your posts were great! - Ruth Anne
Post a Comment