It seems as if the main thing that we did in the village was eat. We believe that they wanted to show us great honor for coming to their village so we were fed very well. With all of this eating came many new experiences, some we loved others we would like to forget.
We ate meals two different ways. The first way the entire family, men and women, would be in one room together. The men were presented with the food first and it was only after they were finished eating that they would slide the rest of the food to the women, this mainly happened with fruits and snacks. My first thoughts were.."are you kidding, I am pregnant and need food".... and "if they dare eat all of that I will be seriously ticked". But after having it happen over and over I got used to it and realized that the food supply never ended and there would be enough for all. Oh and if you are wondering if this bothered Corey, me having to wait till after he was finished and having to watch him eat, nope didn't bother him one bit.
The next way we ate was men and women in different rooms but at least it was at the same time. I will let Corey tell his stories of eating with the men and I will share mine of eating with the women.
Arab style eating includes eating on the floor, a piece of plastic spread out for the food to sit on, the main food is put on a big platter and some other small bowls with other kinds of food. Oh and of course you eat with your hands. Many times before you eat your meal, you will be served fruit! I am not talking one kind of fruit, more like grapes, apples, oranges, bananas, and bread with honey. The fruit also shows up after you have finished your meal.
My first meal was the hardest. I ate with about 14 other women all crowded around a platter of food. All the women knew I was pregnant and wanted to make sure that I was eating enough for the both of us. In fact, if I ever stopped eating they would remind me to eat. They soon realized just telling me wasn't enough so they got tougher... they would put the food they wanted me to eat on my side of the platter and then tell me to eat. When that didn't work because I was soooo full already, they would put the food into my hand and tell me to eat. This was all very hard especially since just recently food had started sounding good.
The good news is... by the end of our time in the village I learned that my body could eat a lot more then I thought it could... and I learned the right words to say and expressions to give to show the women that I really was full and didn't need any more food.
Come back later for Corey's experiences with eating with the men!
2 comments:
I can't wait to hear how Corey words his meal that he was priviledged to eat. Fruit sounds pretty good to me. Mom
I am with you Debbie....I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall and watched my son eat his meal! I bet he was thinking'shell macaroni and cheese...shell macaroni and cheese...' Seriouly, I am proud of both Corey and Rachel. The experiences will be something only I can imagine. (without Corey's meal.) Get on here Corey, and tell us in your words about your time in the village! And why does it not surprise me that you didn't think anything about having to be separated from Rachel and the other women during your meal?
Post a Comment